Thursday, 12 January 2012

Confessions of the.. unemployed

This post may seem silly to some people, but to me it's important. For the first time ever last year I unfortunately had to claim 'jobseekers allowance'. It was a LAST resort for me, I hated the idea of claiming it, I like to be earning my money and to be generally active. When I first started claiming the so called 'benefit' I got the usual jokes of 'you're a bum' 'get a job' etc. Luckily my friends and family knew how badly I wanted to be working, and knew I was claiming the money because I actually needed it. 

The job centre I had the pleasure of visiting (please sense the sarcasm here!) were less than helpful really. They were genuinely shocked to hear I had an education and that I actually wanted a job. They couldn't fathom the fact that I didn't just want the free money.

On the other hand though they seemed to want to make my life hard? At one of my appointments they asked: 
Do you have a full driving license? - yes
Do you have your own transport? - yes
So from these answers they deduct that I'm going to drive 20 minutes each way to a job which is 16hours a week, for minimum wage. Does that even cover petrol costs these days?

When I said that was impractical for me, they threatened to stop my 'benefit'. So my question here is 
"how do people manage to con this system day in and day out?
Because I wanted nothing more than to work! And I'm made to feel like I'm being unreasonable because I won't drive 40 minutes each time for around £95 a week. 

As someone who was desperate to work I was doing everything possible to get a job, I had delivered CV's to the local shops/businesses, I looked on the internet everyday for work, my CV is on more recruitment websites than I've eaten hot dinners. I even have the job center app on my iPhone. Every Thursday my local newspapers are released and I was scanning the recruitment pages of them both. Yet I'm made to feel like I wasn't doing enough.

So as much as people may think not having a job is great (lie in's everyday and free money) - it's not. I was on the 'benefit' from when I returned home from working away October 2010 - March 2011, with a break in between where I had a temporary job for a month. 

I do understand where the stereotype comes from because in my visits to the job center I have come across people who are the definition of it. But, despite what people may think when I say I claim jobseekers allowance, I don't enjoy getting money for nothing, I'd much rather be in a workplace, earning it. One of the best feelings is treating yourself after pay-day has finally arrived!

This week I've had to swallow my pride (majorly!) and claim jobseekers again. I've been looking for work since October 2011 now, I've applied for goodness how many jobs, I've received 3 replies. 
1. Replied to me after 3 weeks, offered me an interview for the following day, I went they told me I'd done really well, they took a month to tell me I didn't have the job after telling me I'd know within a week and the contract was due to finish the week after they told me no (guess what I'd figured that one out already!)
and replies 2 and 3 just gave me the generic 'Sorry you're not suitable'. Please explain WHY I'm not when it's  for a customer service role and that's where ALL my employment history is.

I guess for myself and jobseekers allowance
(in the words of the Example song)



10 comments:

  1. I have just finished my temporary Christmas job at Debenhams, after just graduating uni in september. So I am now unemployed and went along for my first job seekers appointment today. It seems that if you have saved up money all your life rather than flittering it away, this goes against you. The same as if you have saved up to afford a car, this means that they can make you drive up to 60mins a day for a job miles away. But if you dont have a car, you can only work 30mins away. Its very unfair. I cant wait to find a job!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. something will come up hun - chin up xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole system is crazy isn't it Vikki!! I asked about having it backdated, and they said it would probably be rejected because the would want to know how I've survived without it - erm I've been living out of my overdraft trying NOT to claim! You'd think this would go in your favour, apparently not! I hope you find something soon :)

    And thank you kirsty :) it's frustrating me alot, I needed to have a rant haha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. this post has really touched me. i cant even begin to imagine how this must feel for you honey. you're a real inspiration. something WILL come up for you and you will be successful. those who have turned you down have lost out on someone full of passion and drive! so think of it as their loss, not yours. good luck. following you all the way xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely understand your frustration! I've applied for a ridiculous amount of jobs since completing an internship and graduating in September 2011. Since December I've been working as a teaching assistant at the school my parents teach at but its voluntary so I'm not getting paid. It gives me something to do but I find it so annoying that it seems so hard to find paid employment. I hope something comes up for you soon!

    x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw Hannah thats actually brought a tear to my eye ha! I hopefully will be working away again from March/April ish but need something till then, I'm going out of my mind. Thank you for such a lovely comment, it's really cheered me up xxxxxxx

    Jess how frustrating is it!! And because your doing voluntary work you wouldn't be able to claim because you're 'working' the whole thing is a joke. I hope you get something too, well something paid anyway xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww... thanks so much for the comment! That was such a sweet thing to read this morning! Love the blog and am happy to be your newest follower!

    have a lovely day princess!
    xxxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw you're more than welcome!! Your journey has really touched me, I've never been bullied like you have, so I don't know how you feel there, but I would love to loose weight like you have! Thank you for following too, and I hope you have a lovely day too! xxxxx

      Delete
  8. Thanks for your sweet comment!

    And ooh this makes me so sad, I know how it feels, but I understand it must feel worse for you since I don't really need a job (yet) but Im on the hunt for the perfect part time job. It's hard, hang in there.. xxx and good luck

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw thank you very much! I hope you find something too xxx

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave me a comment, I read them all and reply as soon as possible..