Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Review: NYC Show Time Waterproof Mascara

Hey
Whilst I was working overseas my mascara ran out and my limited options lead me to end up buying NYC Show Time Volumising Waterproof Mascara


I've seen NYC products in Superdrug before but I've never tried them, I'm quite nervous about paying for new products without trying them first just incase they're not very good.. and I usually stick with Rimmel or Maybelline mascara as I find they are perfect for my needs. 

However while I was away, I was unable to get hold of any brands I usually would use and I needed mascara for that night (panic!) so I looked at my limited selection and came away with NYC Show Time Volumising Waterproof Mascara (colour - extreme black 844)

I only paid €2.99 for the mascara and I've just looked on superdrug's website and they sell it for £1.99 (hereso as you can imagine I wasn't expecting miracles to be honest. 

I think its attractive looking, and the packaging doesn't make it look cheap. Unfortunately they were my only pro's about this mascara. 

The NYC website describes this mascara as:
"When sitting by the pool on a hot summer day remember two things: sexy sunglasses and new NYC New York Color Show Time Volumizing Waterproof Mascara. With its exclusive volume matrix waterproof technology, it gives up to 5 times long-lasting volume – with no need to worry about it dripping down your cheeks. Melt-free makeup for less!"

- Volume Matrix Waterproof Technology plumps, pampers and nourishes lashes, for immediate results of up to 5 times thickening effect
- Flexible Polymer System conditions lashes to give max flexibility
-Precise Brush separates and defines lashes all day long
- Flake-proof and smudge-proof
- Ophthalmologist tested
- Suitable for sensitive eyes and lens wearers
- Easy to remove

To be honest, I unfortunately don't agree with most of this, infact all I would agree with is the fact it is suitable for lens wearers, it probably is okay for sensitive eyes too, but I don't have sensitive eyes so I can't vouch for that. I've tried to give this mascara a fair chance. But to be honest it did nothing for me. 

As you can see the brush isn't very thick, and it didn't separate my lashes very well at all, and I didn't think they looked any thicker to be honest. I find the mascara also takes a long time to dry. On these pictures they don't look too bad, but this took A LOT of effort.

1 'coat' - by 1 coat I mean I continually kept having to run the brush through to separate them

2 'coats' - I'd left the first 'coat' to dry and then tried to make them look abit thicker by applying another 'coat' 

This mascara also didn't prove to be waterproof in the slightest, I have been spending a lot of time in the heat recently and if my face is sweaty (sorry, gross I know) the mascara smudges onto my eyelids and goes under my eyes. I find myself having to reapply it throughout the day due to it flaking off. Yet when it comes to removing it myself it takes forever to remove it all.. bit backwards really!

I sound like I've had a right old moan here - oops! My friend bought a different NYC mascara and didn't find any problems with it, so I wouldn't not buy their products again, I would just put this down as bad experience to be honest.. and like I said at the beginning, I didn't expect a great deal for the price I paid anyway.

What are your favourite mascaras? 
xxx

6 comments:

  1. I've never tried NYC make up before because the price puts me off! Maybelline does my favourite mascaras, especially love the Falsies one xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah same here, I've always thought for a couple of pounds more I'd just buy a Rimmel or Maybelline that I know definitely will work! xxx

      Delete
  2. Thanks, I will definately NOT be purchasing this product now! :)
    I love maybelline colossal mascara as it's everything that I need in a mascara, but I would love to try out L'oreal million lashes mascara. xxx

    http://scottotty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I know it's only a cheap mascara, but I still don't want others wasting money on it. I also love Maybelline colossal! I've not had a L'oreal mascara in ages actually, I think I may venture to million lashes next, I keep reading great reviews on it! xxx

      Delete
  3. Hi Kirsty, I love your blog and it's great that you give such honest reviews. If you're looking for a really great mascara I have reviewed Benefit's They're Real mascara, it's AMAZING. Have a look if you like, I put some photos on of the impact it made on my lashes http://xthebeautygeekx.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/best-mascara-in-world-fact.html Let me know what you think :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you for such a lovely comment. I'll take a look now, thank you :) xxx

      Delete

Please feel free to leave me a comment, I read them all and reply as soon as possible..